Monday, May 28, 2012

Do Not Enter the Bath If You are an Obnoxious Drunk

Prohibited States of Entry


The other day as I was walking towards the entrance of a new hot spring, I was confronted by a sign that stopped me in my tracks. The meaning is fairly obvious, but I am going to explain it anyway. 

In order to maintain the serenity and the cleanliness of hot springs, you should not enter if you:

  1. are an obnoxious drunk
  2. have a contagious disease
  3. are likely to contaminate the bath with urine, etc.
  4. bring pets or dangerous items inside
I realized how lucky I was that the sign was there to keep me safe. If the sign was absent, who knows what unpleasant experiences I might encounter? Because of the sign, I was able to enjoy a sense of relief and security while bathing. Why aren't signs like this in front of every hot spring, supermarket, movie theater, library, bookstore, restaurant and other public facility in Japan?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please express your feelings or ask a question.